Cromwell Lake Spring Summer Series 2015 Round one

Sat 28 March 15


After returning to match fishing last year, after a ten year break, I returned to one of my favourite venues Cromwell Lake, near Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire, to compete in the annual spring summers series of matches. The series was going well until a road traffic accident, which meant I missed 7 of the league matches. Fortunately I had amassed enough point to qualify for the grand final and was fortunate enough to take top prize on the day, winning the Cromwell Lake Grand final. So here I am again, back on the bank, with my first blog of the 2015 series, lets see how well this year goes.

The Draw

My office for the day

At 12.00 midday, the draw took place and I drew peg No.1 at the carp ark end of the lake. With a strong westerly wind blowing right into the peg, I would have fancied my chance on a warmer day but in the cold windy conditions, I would be fishing for points, rather than a win, as I was confident that the fish would be found on the back of the wind.


Tools for the session

Knowing that the weather was going to be atrocious, I made the decision to leave my poles at home and fish running line tactics for assured presentation and guaranteed accuracy. I set up two ford, my old faithful ABU Suveran 11ft 8 inch feeder rod for the method and the Tri-Cast X$ Specialist Feeder for my straight lead rig. Both rods were fitted with the new Daiwa TDR 4012A reels, loaded with Drennan Feeder & Method mono in 8lbs for the method and on the straight lead I opted for the tried and tested Terry Eustace Pro-Gold in 6lbs.

The Match

Far bank bay was to prove my only option

Whilst setting up, I noticed a few fish show on the far bank in a bay in the rushes, so I clipped up tight to the point of the bay on both rods and made this my main plan of attack for the match. At the all in, I cast out a small method feeder loaded with micro pellets, with 2 Enterprise Tackle artificial maggots on the hook, to establish exactly what if anything was in the swim and to see if the residents were in the mood to feed.

Method feeder loaded with artificial maggots as hookbait

Just 2 to 3 minutes into the match, my rod flew round and I was into my first fish of the session. After a very aggressive battle, I landed a stunning 10lbs fully scaled mirror and this proved to be a very important capture, simply because my prediction of the fish sitting on the back of the wind would prove to be spot on to my annoyance. Over the next 4 hours and 45 minutes, I managed to take one of the new stock fish which weighed in just over 3lbs.

Final Whistle

After trying every trick in the book to draw a bite, no matter what I tried, the fish were simply not in front of me. My day consisted of two fish showing in the swim, two liners and two fish in the net. It was a simple case of if the fish aren’t in front of you, you simply can’t catch them. And with me taking 11lbs 8ozs, this was the top weight from my end of the lake but anglers with the wind off their backs at the river end of the lake, took full advantage as the top 4 weights all came from this area. I finished 5th on the day, so with 15 points on the table I can’t really complain.

Tight Lines



Visit the Website:


Advertisement ...

Fish On Peterborough